Saturday, December 25, 2010

Merry Christmas

My family was reading the Christmas story this morning, and I couldn't help but be struck by all that is said and that which isn't in that little Luke 2 passage.
Jesus was born out of a miracle.  Miracles greeted his birth and danced in the sky, as more miracles raced to stand around His makeshift bed.  Miracles awaited Him when He went to the temple that first time, a little after He was born.  Miracles kept happening, leaving no room for doubt in anyone's eyes.
This was the Son of God.
This is the Son of God.
What hit me so hard wasn't any of that, though.  I realized that I can't think of a single time througout the gospels where the book flat-out says for modern readers, "This is God's Son!"  There are no neon signs, nothing screaming, "THIS IS GOD!"
There's plenty of evidence-- more than anyone could ask for-- but He lets us draw our own conclusions.
I love that about Him-- how He lets us choose.  He lets us determine.  Obviously we can't change reality, but still, that He would let us have a beautiful choice in our beliefs-- that is marvelous.  And yes, it's a simple thing, but really, it just makes Him all that more majestic to me.
...
Sorry.  You guys were probably expecting an update.  I apologize.  But I do want to wish each and every one of you a wonderful Christmas.  I hope it's filled with little miracles for you all as you remember the real Miracle of Christmas.
...
I just love our God. :]

No comments:

Post a Comment