Saturday, January 1, 2011

Hello, January

We took down our Christmas decorations today.
The end of the Christmas season always depresses me. I know that as I pack all the cheery decorations away, it all only means that we'll be unpacking them next year, but I still wish that the spirit of that one day-- that tiny window of time-- when everyone proves that they can love, and do-- would linger forever.  Christmas is just so ethereal.  I hate the end.
I felt like Relient K's song Boxing Day the whole time I pulled the lights from our artificial tree.

Take it all down
Christmas is over
But do not despair
but rather be glad
We had a good year
Now let's have another
Remembering all the good times that we had
No more lights glistening
No more carols to sing
But Christmas, it makes way for spring
Though hearts of man
Are bitter and weathered
As cold as the snow
 That falls from above
But just for one day,
We all came together
We showed the whole world that we know how to love
No more lights glistening
No more carols to sing
But Christmas, it makes way for spring
Remember that Christmas, it makes way for spring

And now it's January, the new year.
Yuck.
I've always harbored a dislike for January.  I apologize to anyone born this month, but it's just icky.  Depressing.  Cold and dry.  I don't care if it's new... it's just gross.
Happy New Year, ya'll.  Have a dose of realism with your resolutions. :]

No comments:

Post a Comment