Friday, July 22, 2011

I Love... The Summit

Once upon a time, Amazing Grace was my favorite song.  I remember skipping through my grandmother’s house, proudly ariating every word with a four-year-old assurance that no one could render the song better than I.
It’s a favorite of mine once again, but for vastly different reasons.
I mean—just think about it for a second, you guys.  To be blind—a complete and total lack of sight.  No concept of light, of color, of what people look like.  Lost in a myriad of confusing sounds, smells, sensations.  Deprived of the vision you know others have. With unknown misconceptions of the world around you, brought about by a simple lack of understanding. Confused. For all you know, alone. Craving the light you’ve never known.
And then, suddenly, you can see.
That kind of transformation leaves me speechless.  Just think about it—how glorious would that be?  I can hardly imagine.  It doesn’t even matter to me what you see… just the marvelous, startling, spectacular realization of what light really is, that what you’ve thought was reality this whole time was just a spectre and imprint of what really exists.
And yet, that’s kind of how I feel about Summit.  I had all these ideas and images and things I knew to be true, but Summit pulled them together and gave me a sort of sight I didn’t know was possible.
For that, I am eternally grateful.

I grew up in the church.  I knew all the Creationist/Evolutionist debates, I knew about Richard Dawkins, I knew about Oprah’s church, I knew about Pro-life, I knew about the importance of evangelism.
Funny how none of it affected my life in any way…. Until this summer.
And now that I look around, now that my eyes have been opened, it’s like, “Dang.  I’m just a teenager, but I can do this stuff.  I’m just an absurd girl with an affinity for the bizarre, but I can change things.  And if I don’t, who will be changing things? Who will be acting?”
Reading my Bible, I’m realizing for the first time that God’s Word is a book of action. It’s constantly crying, “Do things!  Live for Me!  I’m waiting for you to realize this glorious power I’ve imbued you with, this incredible potential I’ve given you. Take hold of that which I have for you!”
How on earth could I ever have missed it before? It’s in all my favorite verses, my favorite books:
“He has shown you, O man, what [is] good; And what does the LORD require of you But to do justly, To love mercy, And to walk humbly with your God?”
–Micah 6:8
“But you must return to your God; maintain love and justice, and wait for your God always.”
–Hosea 12:6
“We give thanks to God always for you all, making mention of you in our prayers, remembering without ceasing your work of faith, labor of love, and patience of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ in the sight of our God and Father… so that you became examples to all in Macedonia and Achaia who believe…For from you the word of the Lord has sounded forth, not only in Macedonia and Achaia, but also in every place. Your faith toward God has gone out, so that we do not need to say anything.”
–1 Thessalonians 1:2-3, 7-8
To do, to love,  to walk,  to work, to labor, to hope. To become examples to all, having our faith go out so that there is no need to say anything about it. To be so blatantly, obviously, rapturously, incomprehensibly in love with serving the Lord that there are no words to be said and no need for them.
I want to be like that.
Not only do I want to be like that, I need to be like that.
 So thank you, Summit, for giving me my sight back.  Thank you for opening my eyes to a whole new reality, where the old spectres and imprints of ideas are real, and they come together in a way that can be acted on, changed, completely rewon for Christ.
From my comfortable “Christian” mindset, I never thought I would have anything close to this kind of drive. And, let me tell you, it’s glorious.
I cannot wait to get back to the marvelous place that is the Summit. But in the meantime, there is a lot to do.
So let’s do it, shall we?
~Kuri

Originally posted on http://www.webothlike.wordpress.com/. See, this is what happens when I go from so excited that I can hardly speak to so excited I can't shut up. Amusing when contrasted with the post below, hmm?

3 comments:

  1. Welcome back, Pip! I'd glad you had such a great experience! Several people have recommended SUMMIT to me--it looks as if I have a few more years to finally get there :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds awesome. I loved reading this. :)

    (...and you can't kill me for commenting... there is a new post up on my blog. xD)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha... it was so awesome. You guys have no idea. Please, please, please look into it. :]

    I'm glad you guys enjoyed it! I wish I could put just how strongly I feel about this in words, but alas... I'm just not that talented. haha

    (I shan't kill you, Jeanette Love... and I know~ I stalk your blog regularly. :])

    ReplyDelete