Sunday, July 17, 2011

MY LAND

I have no clue where to begin.
I suppose the first thing I could tell you is that Colorado is as close to Eden as you’re allowed to get here on this earth.  It’s beautiful, enchanting, inspiring, and all of the people we met there were incredibly sweet and marvelous.
Although it’s a LOT higher in altitude than my home state of Indiana.  We walked off of the plane into the dry heat and my hands flew to my throat.  “I can’t breathe!” I eeped, looking to my brother wildly.  “What is wrong with this air? I can’t breathe! Oh my gosh, I’m going to die!  Why is there no air?!”
He sighed deeply.  “I love it here.” His voice was cool and he smiled. “I would move here just to breathe.”
I responded with something completely articulate and controlled, like “YOU DON’T UNDERSTAND I AM DYING HERE WHAT IS GOING ON”.  He kindly told me to shut up, as I was shouting at him in the middle of the airport.  After a few minutes, though, I was starting to accept the fact I was slowly being asphyxiated and I stopped complaining.  As much.

And now I’m entirely at a loss again.  So much happened, there’s no way I could fit it in a single blog post.  I went whitewater rafting, visited town every day, danced in the rain, and sang at the top of my lungs.  I met so many lovely people, and I had so much fun getting to know them: Nicole, Shlukeypoo, Marina, Abby, Becca, Kyle, Bronwyn, SarahJoy, Christina, Lydia, Hannah, Keaton, Jimmy…  And that’s not even all of them.  The countless number of staff I met and fell absolutely in love with… Aaron, MaryLowry, Koert, Tyler, Ashley, Trent, Laura, Russell, Andy, Jen, William C Doublestein, Jason… I learned more than I could ever possibly remember, took enough notes to have my hands fall off, and discussed (read: shouted about) with my brother different doctrines in the middle of the hallway.  I was met spiritually over and over and over again, learned so much to help with my relationship with Jesus, and enjoyed the best worship services the world has ever experienced.
Oh, and I spent 24 hours in quarantine because I got the stomach flu.
Yeah, that’s a story in and of itself, let me tell you. 
A lot more blog posts will be written about this.
Already parts of it are fading from memory, and that fills me with inscrutable sadness.  It was the best two weeks of my life, and I hardly have any words for it.  I sent an email to Purple Hippo Girl the day after we returned home, and it said, “When my friends asked me what it was like, I tried to start about five times, mumbled incoherently, and then I settled on saying, "It was amazing.  It was incredible.  There are no words to describe.  I loved it.  It was the best two weeks of my life."  And then when they asked me what it was like, I could not tell them. I just stuttered and repeated, "You have to come with me next year.  You have to." ”
So that’s what I’m telling you, all of you that are ages 16-25.  Try to go.  It’s a lot of money, and it’s a lot of work to go, but Summit will change your life.  It’s not a camp that you go to for fun—it’s intense.  My room only got about 6 hours of sleep a night (because we’re girls and we have to have time to get ready in the morning).  You feel like your brain will explode from all of the information, and you flounder hopelessly when confronted with other ideas. But it’s wonderful and glorious, and it’s an experience that will change your life and give you a driven direction for your existence.
I’m going back.  Session 4, 2012, baby.  I’ll be there, or else something terribly drastic has happened to me and I’m dead or in a coma.
That’s about all that will keep me away.
See you then,
Christina “Kuri” Icarus

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you liked it so much, Pip! :D It sounds like a really great experience ", and, maybe, next year I will sign up for it too? Possibly. It seems really great.
    I won't even have to change altitudes, haha :p

    Also.
    Take pictures of that notebook :p

    ReplyDelete